Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Brooklyn Finest's Director Antoine Fuqua to Direct Tupac Shakur Biopic

In a recent interview with U.K.'s Digital Spy, director Antoine Fuqua mentioned that his next film will be a biopic on slain rap legend Tupac Shakur. Morgan Creek Productions will produce the film, with shooting to start in September.

"It looks like we're doing Tupac Shakur's movie next in September, that's what I've been starting up and working on now," he said. "I've been working on that for a while with Morgan Creek and Jim Robinson. I just got the green-light from him and we're going in September. I've just started to prep that."

At the present there is no actor listed yet to play Shakur. Fuqua has made it known that he hopes to find an unknown actor to portray the iconic hip-hop star, who was killed in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas in 1996.

"That's the goal, I want to discover someone new," he explained. "I want to discover a lot of new people if I can. Obviously I'm going to have to put some people in it that you know, just because actors have different skills. I want to go to the streets and find him anywhere he might be in the world."

As an actor, Tupac appeared in notable films such as Juice, Poetic Justice, and Above the Rim.  In 2009's Notorious,' the biopic on Christopher "Notorious B.I.G" Wallace, actor Anthony Mackie played the role of Tupac.
 
I like the idea of an unknown to play Tupac. It will give us an opportunity to see what talent is out there. Will be keeping my eyes and ears open as we begin to hear more about this film.

No comments:

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X