Sunday, June 14, 2009

"You're my freakin' hero...!"

What more can I say about this movie?!! Excellent, Great, Magnificent!! The Taking of Pelham 123 has definitely become one of the great Summer 2009 films.

This Tony Scott film remake will take you on a high- pace roller coaster ride sure to have you on the edge of your seat. From beginning to end we take a journey between subway dispatcher Walter Garber (Denzel Washington) and former "Wall Street high roller" turned high-jacker Ryder. Grant it yes we have all seen the typical hostage-negotiation/ransom plea, but this is more than that, there is more flair and excitement and even a bit of mystery to boot. It definitely keeps you focused on the screen from the minute that it starts. I realized that for a good part of the movie I was filled with humor from Travolta's character and his interactions amongst everyone else in the movie. Nonetheless the directing and the acting were grand but then again should I have expected any less.

The chemistry between Washington and Travolta was so natural it was unreal. These two actors meshed so well it was unbelievable. In addition to the supporting cast which included Luis Guizman, John Turturro, and James Gandolfini, you are definitely in for a treat among treats. This movie has the perfect combination of plot, character development, scene graphics, and intensity. I must admit I am not a Travolta except for Pulp Fiction and Face/Off, but he does his thang with this movie. He makes me believe in him with this role as Ryder, his anger and Garber's determination sealed the deal. However the use of the word (M-F) was definitely overused, but I guess that was his extra flair that he added to this version.

This movie does everything that one should expect in two hours engage, entertain, and satisfy. And in some ways it will make you think, "Will I ever ride the NYC subways the same way as in he past?" Maybe or Maybe Not...

"Just make sure you bring home a gallon of milk!!

Grade: B+/A

2 comments:

remarkable said...

Great movie,...worth the money..Travolta was riveting and hasn't lost a step, and Denzel still has his trademark "scratch" and I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. That is one thing I'd like to ask him if I ever met him....Travolta LOVES being the bad guy i think! "Ugh,..You're my freakin hero......." lol!

remarkable said...

oh yes, it was SWORDFISH that Travolta reminded me of in this movie only this was much better...not so lofty in his pursuit of control, but still pretty darn successful. I hated his getaway attempt though in this one,...that is the only thing that didn't go with the plot.. Denzel/Garber was definitely determined, like you said!

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X