Saturday, August 15, 2009

District 9...Got me on Cloud 9

First let me say I was a bit hesitant to go see this movie but a good buddy of mine NewsRevolver made some comments which sparked my interest so I figured why not go!

Now this is the only piece of info that I will give you and trust me its enough to get you pumped to get your popcorn and cherry icee and watch this flick... The film opens with a documentary-style series of interviews that introduce the situation. An alien ship is seen coming towards earth and arrives above Johannesburg, South Africa. Now if you are not into science-fiction you may not get into at first but I guarantee it will not disappoint you. These days a movie can truly shock and surprise ya!
In my opinion this is more than just your average "alien vs. human" film, there is actual substance that sticks to the bones. It gets on a level that elevates into the higher realms of social commentary. In an interesting sort of way you see the aliens present almost as much as the animals, however on the flip side one begins to quickly start to sympathize with the aliens and tune into their "true desperation."

Typically when one watches these films, one will see like in many other films it covers the worst that humans can do, and trust me YOU WILL see that there is brutal violence present. Basically the director did not shy away from depicting it at all. Put it like this, you do not want to watch this after a big meal. The characters are believable and the style of the film just adds icing to the cake. Now the scary yet truthfulness of this film is that "this could have happened, and just might in fact happen!" Marinate on that!!

Another great thing about this movie was that its only a little over 112mins, which is enough to give a knockout punch. Let me put it like this this movie will definitely lead to many discussions, trust me (I won't spoil it for ya!) All in all, this is a film that is worth your every cent. All the way right up until the end you are never quite sure what's going to happen next. I must say director, Neill Blomkamp did a pretty good job for this being his first film. This is definitely one of the best Sci-Fi movies this year and maybe even for awhile to come!

Grade: B+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This movie blew my mind and I was so engrossed in, I had no idea that it was just under 90 minutes long, but as you mentioned, every minute was crafted perfectly.

And again I must agree and say that this movie does more than showcase a plot of 'Alien vs. Human'. You can actually pick up hidden messages throughout the movie; messages of friendship, loyalty, acceptance, and ethics are just three that came to my mind while I watched the movie.

I really did like this movie and Peter Jackson turned out a relatively low-budget masterpiece of sorts. The plot was superb and the camera work was captivating-this movie was simply INCREDIBLE.

My grade is: A

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X