Sunday, August 8, 2010

I Like 'The Other Guys'

Let me first start out by saying that I was dying of laughter after watching this movie. Will Ferrell never ceases to amaze me!! This was definitely a great time for this flick to come out, and to think it knocked the box office hit Inception out of the #1 spot in its opening weekend!!

Well there is one thing for sure, you will not get a complaint out of me about this film, from the moment that screen lit up I was hooked!!

The mix between the dry humor and the downright hilarious humor is tremendous it pretty much is the icing on the cake of chemistry between Mark Walhberg and Will Ferrell. I was curious how the two of them were going to pull off the character partnership, well no more doubts in my mind. I'm actually pretty interested in how these two got linked together, definitely worked out for the better (unlike its counterpart film Cop Out).

In this movie we get a chance to appreciate each and every character no matter how long they are in the film. One character in particular is that of Mark Whalberg's in this film. Keeping in mind we have seen him play a serious cop like the one in The Departed, but in The Other Guys we get to see the serious cop, but one that takes on a comedic form. And I love it!! It definitely shows his range as a all-around great actor. Now another one that folks may have missed is that of comedian Damon Wayans' son Damon Wayans Jr. put it like this, "like father, like son". And he definitely does not fall far from the tree.All in all, there is no one person that steals the show, they all pretty much work off the other, so that everyone gets their "shine on".


Now with this flick under his belt director Adam McKay is definitely on the verge of being a household name. For all you movie buffs you will recognize his previous work with Will Ferrell in which magic happens. The former "Saturday Night Live" writer directed Ferrell in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004), and the soon-to-be classic Talladega Nights (2006). As director and co-writer of The Other Guys, McKay clearly pulls out all the best qualities out of Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, and the rest of the cast. In a nutshell, he combines action and comedy better than a lot of comedies that I have seen in a long time.

Oh and I can't forget the wooden gun....trust me I will not spoil, you gotta see it to get the full effect!! That and the cocaine covered Prius...(priceless moments!)


This movie has enough action to satisfy the plot and very few (if any) twists. It was simple and to the point, which is all that is needed for a comedy like this one. Let me just say this movie is pure enjoyment you will appreciate the wonderful, uplifting, funny time!


Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

1 comment:

AMERICA'S MANSION said...

I really missed seeing this movie this past weekend and it wasn't because I didn't think it wasn't going to be funny it was because I busy all weekend. Now that I have read your review on the movie, I truly now that I should go and see this flick and get my laugh on.

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X