Monday, January 19, 2009

Biggie Biggie Give Me One More Chance!!

You know your movie has done well when you seen grown men come out of a movie theater teary-eyed. Notorious did just that!! After watching this film I could honestly say that this portrayal was "Amazing"! Notorious is a 2009 biopic film about the life of hip hop star Christopher Wallace aka Biggie Smalls bka The Notorious B.I.G.

Biggie who, through raw talent and sheer determination, transforms himself from a Brooklyn street hustler to become the greatest rapper of all time. His story charts his meteoric rise to fame and his refusal to succumb to expectation and redefines our notion of "The American Dream". (Fox Searchlight)

Each character in this film was able to shine and at the same time complement the main character of focus, the Notorious B.I.G. aka Christopher Wallace. Angela Bassett who plays Voletta Wallace, Biggie's mom does a outstanding job of showing the strong-willed, no-nonsense having mother. And even though she is not a Jamaican she was able to pull it off successfully with the accent. Next, Derek Luke (Sean "Diddy" Combs) will make you laugh and make you say wow, "I have a greater respect for Diddy and his craft. To be able to have something and lose it in an instance and then rise above it speaks volumes!! And I can't forget, Luke had them dance moves down to a tee, a mirror image. And last but certainly not least, Jamal "Gravy" Woolard who plays the Notorious B.I.G. That was Biggie on the screen, no doubt. His walk, his talk, his charisma, his mannerisms, NO ONE could tell me any different. It was so evident that its scary!! Every time he talked, walked, moved I got chills to my soul because it was just that REAL. To be able to encompass all that they did in the two and some change was truly a magnificent feat. Director George Tillman Jr. should be commended for the finished product of this film. All of the hype that came with this film was definitely worth, no disappointments on this end. Thank God there are still films that portray a true to life biopic story. Hip-hop lost a great soldier in the Notorious B.I.G. and the fact that his legacy lives on even almost twelve years later makes me give him mad respect as an artist and an individual.

" When you read magazines and you see everybody having fun, you think, 'okay, that's where I want to be.' But once you get in it and you achieve the sucess that you want, it seems like that's where the player hating starts. You know that's where everybody's like, 'Well it's not all that." -Notorious B.I.G.

This film reminds us that as easy as it is to get something it is even easier to lose it in an instance. All can say is "Where Brooklyn At?!!"


Grade: A

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to see this movie and your review has helped to stamp why I want to see it.

On another note, I saw 'Hancock' and it gets a 6 on a scale to 10. It was just a very incomplet movie that lost me a few times.

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X