Friday, May 6, 2011

Thor-riffic!!

You already know what it is...The Midnight Show!! Tonight's feature is Thor! Thor is a 2011 American superhero film based on the comic book character of the same name published by Marvel Comics. This is also the fourth film released in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, the still to be released films will be Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, and Iron Man 3).

The Midnight shows have not disappointed me yet, looks like this Summer is off to a magnificent start!! Thank goodness because after last summer I was beginning to lose hope!

Well let's get right into it! Thor was an example of a well-written screenplay based off of a comic book character. I will admit I was not sure what to expect with this film, but it definitely met my expectations. Now I am not one to like people, or characters for that matter, who are way beyond arrogant, but this Thor character made me make an exceptional to the rule. Thor is a comic book character who some might would call a classic (considering the comic always used Shakespearean drama and archaic language to tell the story of the God of Thunder). And the fact that Kenneth Branagh took on the role as director was a perfect yet surprising combination.  Now even though the movie is called Thor, I think it did an excellent job of not per se exclusively focusing on him. I think a viewer would only be able to take small doses of this egotistical and arrogant warrior. Chris Hemsworth meshed very well with this character, another great match-up. He definitely made the role very believable.

Thor does a great job of showcasing both realms so that we can get a better understanding of how the two connect. You could easily get lost in translation, but Branagh makes sure to keep us on track. This was definitely a movie that I was not sure if they could pull it off considering they would have to balance the Norse mythology along with the Marvel Universe. Thor intertwines the perfect combination of passion and guts with each character on the screen. The visuals are amazing and mind-blowing, I imagine myself taking a whirlwind ride, even though dangerous still fun all at the same time. Thanks to the fine actors and the great direction, the story was truly brought to life in good form. Thor is an example of another comic book movie done right!

Let me just say this Anthony Hopkins is a genius of an actor, this man has skills that are almost untouchable. I cannot think of anyone else to play Odin, father of Thor. Now another actor to take note of who was rather intriguing was that of Idris Elba's character Heimdall, there was this quiet storm about him that made me think this is not someone to mess with at all. He definitely got some swagger. He was truly awesome!! And to think people were hemming and hawing about the fact that he was not white....(geesh get over it folks, give credit when credit is due). And let's not forget the supporting roles of Natalie Portman as well as Tom Hiddleston. Hiddleston in particular should be highlighted for his performance, he represents the true emotional bond between a son's character and his family.

In addition to a great storyline, some good acting we get a chance to see S.H.I.E.L.D (from Iron Man 1 and 2) in action definitely a preview of what is to come for the future Marvel movies. There is really not too much to say without giving away the film. However, I will speak on the one smile gripe that I had with the movie. If anything I would have liked a little bit more action, but other than that it was a job well done. This movie demonstrates more and more why I love the comic book world. A fantasy that just might could be a reality.

***SIDENOTE: Once again you want to make sure that you stay past the credits again as it will provide some very interesting and useful information!! Trust me!!***

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X