Monday, May 30, 2011

Double Header "The Hangover Part II" & "Kung Fu Panda 2"


Today's review's are going to be short, sweet, painfully to the point. I had high expectations for both of these flicks and they both let me own. Since both flicks were a disappointment I figure they deserve to be in a post together.

Well well well, what can I say The Hangover Part II did one thing right and that is bring in a lot of hype and huge box office numbers ( I guess that's what counts...). This is a movie that tried just a little bit too hard to make us laugh. I think Director Todd Phillips was on such a high from the first one that with this one is pretty much missed the mark. For the most part "Hangover II", plot wise, is very similar to the first one. All the themes and characters from the first one make a return appearance but just in a different fashion. From what I can gage they wanted us to relive the first one and at the same time take it to another level.

So in this one we get to see Stu and the crew travel to Thailand (versus Las Vegas) for his wedding. And of course the night before the wedding something has to go wrong. The stakes (no pun intended) are much higher now that they are on foreign soil. The pre-wedding escapade is definitely one to remember! Missing family members, silent monks, a drug dealing monkey, face tattoo's, hotel rooftops, and some type of drug pretty much describe what this movie entails. And to top it off we even get a surprise guest appearance in the end.

The Hangover II, is a prime example of flick that is too raunchy for its own good. Put it like this some things are better left unspoken. There were even a few scenes in which I felt slightly offended as an African American and I'm sure some Asians felt the same way. This movie was "too hot" for the film screen. As mentioned earlier they tried to hard to make us laugh, using the same gags and switching out some old tricks for some new ones (ex. Monkey instead of a Tiger). Think of this movie like a car that was washed with just water only no soap. To make the car look real pretty it needs to waxed and shined up, and that is what this movie lacked, a good soap & water washing with a wax-on finish.

I will say this, I will not be making another trip to see this movie again, like I did the first one. Now don't get me wrong I laughed but it just didn't hit the core like the first installment did. Actually as I think about it, The Hangover concept could be a great television series, the Wolfpack solving mysteries of trying to find "missing person's"...or maybe not.

Rating: 2.5 out 5 stars


---------------------------------------------

Now this next one really hurt my feelings. I think I really hyped myself with this one, and once again I got my feelings were hurt!!

Kung Fu Panda 2 takes the viewer on another journey with Po and his crew of kung-fu masters to take on an old enemy, with a new weapon. I'm glad that they brought everyone back, but it just didn't have the pizazz, I just cannot put my finger on it.

I will give kudos to the animation and the voice-acting definitely a good job. And it does provide some historical Chinese elements. But overall for me not enough to make me say wow!! One thing in particular is that of the final battle it was like pulling teeth, just dragged out way too long.

Kids may enjoy the movie depending on the age, but adults not quite sure what to make of it. Maybe it was not meant for us, this would not be the first time this has happened.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X