Thursday, May 19, 2011

Black Savant Cinema Feature Spotlight: Screenwriter & Television Producer Kristen V. Carter

Boy do I have a surprise for you all today. Earlier in the week I had mentioned that I would be adding a new addition to the site, well the wait is over!! At least twice a month I will be doing a feature spotlight of a rising filmmaker, screenwriter, director and/ or actor/actress. Black Savant Cinema would like to showcase and introduce to the world some folks that you should be on the look out for, in other words "watch out!!" 

Today's feature spotlight is a woman who wears many hats...Kristen V. Carter.


Kristen V. Carter is a screenwriter, television producer, and teacher from Newark, New Jersey. She has written and produced for a variety of programs including MTV's Countdown to America's Best Dance Crew, Making the Band 4's Live Finale, and the BET Awards Post Show 2008. Kristen is currently enrolled in the Cosby Screenwriting Fellowship in Los Angeles, CA.

Most recently, Kristen wrote, directed, and produced a six-episode web series ‘Sellout’ a story of an Ivy League graduate’s transition back to the inner-city after his mother’s death. Her goal is to produce the feature film version of ‘Sellout’ and her most recent screenplay ‘Dad’s Club.’ In December 2011, Kristen traveled to Los Angeles, CA to be a contestant on Wheel of Fortune, which happened to be the same week as her interview for the Cosby Screenwriting Fellowship. The trip was a life-changing opportunity that confirmed Kristen’s decision to relocate to Los Angeles.

Kristen's professional experiences have brought on many motivational speaking opportunities, and she spends her free time mentoring students on professional development. She is involved in NAACP/ACTSO and New York Women in Communications. Due to her tireless efforts, Kristen has won many awards for her professional and social achievements.

Whether it's through screen or stage, Kristen’s ultimate goal is to inspire the world through the medium of edutainment. 

In getting to know a little more about Kristen I asked her a few questions to really get to know who is Kristen V. Carter...

1) How did you get started? My mother always encouraged my art. I grew up in dance classes and singing lessons, and began writing songs, poems, and short stories around 7 or 8 years old. From there, I always had a love for theater, film, and television. When I was in middle school, my two best friends and I decided to write a movie...and I wound up being the only one who was really serious about it. :) I never knew any writers - particularly writers of color - until I interned BET after my senior year of high school. I met my future mentor during my first internship.

2) In one word, describe yourself and why... Passionate. I put my heart in everything I am involved in. I am very passionate about the community, education, media, being my best self, and inspiring others to share their gifts with the world. 

3) What do you feel is the strongest asset you bring to the film/media industry? The strongest asset I bring to the industry is my hunger - hunger to see everyone succeed. I have a voice in the community but I am here to not only give, but to learn. I think that, above even your talent or work, your energy speaks to others around you; it determines if people will help you or even want to work with you. 

4) How long have you been making films? I completed my first feature film 'Sellout' in 2009. I directed web series of the same name in 2010. I finished writing my second feature film 'Dad's Club' in 2011. 

5) Why did you get involved in the film/media industry? When you started making films, did you have a specific aim? I got into film because I have stories that need to be told, perspectives that need to be shared. My goal is to shed light on various topics/issues in our community in a comedic way, to get people to laugh and talk about what's going on in the world around us. 

6) What is the most important thing you've accomplished so far in this industry? Wow, every milestone is important to me so that's hard to pin down. The most important thing I've accomplished is maintaining my integrity. My biggest accomplishment thus far is 1. shooting my webseries and creating a platform for it with no money and 2. being involved in the Cosby Screenwriting Fellowship. 

7) What has been the biggest influence on your film career? Watching other creative minds 'come up.' I've loved observing the careers of those I admire, and seeing that *everything is possible.*

8) From your perspective, what would you like to contribute to the present day film/media? I would like to contribute 'edutainment' -  images that inspire us to laugh, learn, and move our community forward.

9) Who is the person you admire most in the film/media industry? Robert Townsend. Debbie Allen. Bill Cosby. Spike Lee. Malcolm D. Lee.

10) What tv show, movie, or play produced in the last year has been most inspiring to you, either personally or professionally? True Blood. If you look beyond the blood and guts, there's an incredibly spiritual undertone that's being presented. 

11) If you weren't doing what you're doing now, what would you be doing? Creating an educational arts program.


After reading her bio and seeing her responses to the above questions, I must say I am truly impressed!! She definitely has it going on!! 


For more information check her out on her website www.kristenvcarter.com . And just so you can get a little taste of her work, check out an episode from her web series "Sellout"...




If you would like to be featured on Black Savant Cinema we would love to share your story!! Please send all inquiries to blacksavantcinema@gmail.com !!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen never ceases to surprise me. Awesome interview and I look forward to more in the near future.

Congrats Kris!

Anonymous said...

Kristen, that was a nice interview, it does not tell all, it does leave something to desire. I would love for people to have been able to see the struggle you went through to get where you. You did you homework, and the honed your craft very well. Congrats. You go Kristen.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Watch Out for sure. Kristen has the heart of gold and a drive to moves others into moving too! Congratulations Kristen...this is only the beginning....

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X