Friday, March 6, 2009

Wow!!! Watchmen you got my vote!

Boy oh Boy!!! I have waited for this movie for sooooo long, and I must say I am far from being disappointed!! This is how a movie should be, filled with good quality, plot, storyline, and character development. Director Zac Synder truly gives us a treat with this American superhero film.

And when you watch the opening it hits you right in the face...literally. If you are familiar with the movie Sin City much of the graphics will look very familiar. But unlike Sin City, Watchmen will definitely wet your palette and quench your thirst.

Costumed superheroes are part of everyday society, but due to some unforseen circumstances (specifically government crackdowns) they have been forced into early retirement. Its October 1985, and the New York City police are investigating the murder of Edward Blake. But with this Watchmen member brutally murdered, the others are called together to take action and investigate the killer. And with the police having no leads, costumed vigilante Rorschach decides to explore a little further. Discovering that Blake was the U.S. employed costumed hero, "The Comedian", Rorschach believes he has discovered a plot to eliminate costumed heroes. He then sets about warning four of his retired comrades, Dan Dreiberg (formerly the second Nite Owl), the super powered and emotionally detached Doctor Manhattan and his lover Laurie Juspeczyk (the second Silk Spectre), and Adrian Veidt (once the hero Ozymandias, and now a successful businessman). Each hero has their own past which is unraveled as the film unfolds. Some embrace the past others try to run from it, hoping life will go on as normal. One in particular leaves it all together, thus sparking a major red flag!! What the Watchmen don’t realize is they’re about to discover an age-old, disturbing conspiracy to change the balance of power and an unseen enemy that wants to kill them one by one.

I was very impressed with the cinematography of this film it does the comic book justice. As an avid comic reader and fan we are able to journey with this movie from beginning to end.
Even if you never read the comic book you would be able to get a good solid sense of what it was about. This movie had many punchlines, which were just as powerful then as they are now. Now there was one key line in this movie which resonated in my mind even as I am typing these words..."You all seem to be confused, you think I am locked in here with you, ...... you are locked in with ME!!" This one line flips the script as to how a prisoner feels, if I was a prisoner in their with Rorschach I might think twice about my actions. (Rorschach stating his existence in the prison.) Now there were many more where that came from and you will want to check this flick to see it.

Despite the film being 163 mins with some brief moments of slowness it was well worth it. The action in the film is not overdone and actually quite believable. There were many moments where I had to grab hold to my seat, and say "Damn, he got him good with that one!" This landmark comic book series, Watchmen shows a tale of heart-pounding action and mystery. And as each minute unfolds, we discover a piece of history of these vigilante heroes.
This is not just Alan Moore's Watchmen, but it is a competent extension of the universe into another medium and a worthy cinema-going experience.

"
Justice is coming to all of us. No matter what we do."

Thank you! Thank you! Watchmen you definitely got my spring off to a bright start!



Grade: A

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...'Watchmen'...what can I say about this movie?

While I wasn't bored by the movie, I was definitely wanting more action aka fight scenes. In all honesty, I was expecting a little more from the movie, but then again it got the job done. Dr. Manhattan was cool blue mofo, but I coulda did without seeing his blue genitalia (what happened to the Speedo's Dr. M???) throughout the movie-I mean I guess the dude had to be butt-naked all the time to keep with the validity of the book, so it's all good.

The plot, while sometimes up and down and slow, was good and the action sequences were phenomenal; in fact the fight scene in the prison hall cause my body temperature to elevate because of its intensity.

Overall, it was good movie. I wouldn't pay to see it again, but it was worth the $10 this time around.

My grade for this flick is: B!

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X