Friday, October 26, 2012

Two Things I Learned From Watching 'Scandal'



Let me just say that I have been bitten by the Shonda Rhimes ‘bug’ as she has captured my soul with her latest ABC television drama Scandal. It is a brilliant story that I think every person can relate to in some sort of fashion. But last night’s episode was the nail in the coffin (in a good way) for me. Now for those that do not watch the show whether male or female YOU ARE MISSING OUT!! And I will not disclose any details, but trust me it sucks you in and takes no prisoners.

I will give you just a brief synopsis so that you can at least have a mental picture of the show. Pictures this…
Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington) dedicates her life to protecting the nation’s “high-profile” elite public figures, and she does this by making sure their secrets never get out. Pope is a former White House Communications Director for the president (basically she was running things), but left to start her own crisis management firm, Olivia Pope and Associates. Leaving the White House and starting her own firm, she hopes to begin a new chapter of her life, however there are certain parts that she cannot leave behind.. in the past. Olivia Pope is a person with great intellect, numerous resources, power, charm and a definite sensitive, soft side.

Alrighty back to last night…I would come to realize that there are two things that I have learned from watching this show, Huck is Dexter 2.0 and Women truly run the world!!


If there is one person that you want on your side through thick and thin that would be Olivia’s tech guy Huck. Huck is that guy that when you see him, you step back and let him do his thing. (“My bad you got this…”) He is the type of guy that does not get in the way, however he does not necessarily need to be caged, just controlled from arms length. Not only is he tech-savy, a former CIA agent and Black Ops, but most importantly he is loyal and trustworthy. He does just what you need without even asking him to do it. You need someone to “disappear” quickly…Huck is your man. When you need to hack into a high-security system…Huck is that guy!! This man is a twisted genius who takes pride and pleasure in torturing people, even though he tries not to. If you have ever watched the show Dexter on Showtime then you already know the mental state of Huck. Just know he is a man that you do not ever want to cross, not even on accident. Even though it would seem that his behavior is predictable with each episode I am consistently shocked, amazed, blown away, and at times fearing for my own life. I would not doubt that there are multiple pictures of him in the DSM-V, I’m sure he is a classic textbook case. When it all boils down, when sh@$# hit the fan, Huck will ALWAYS be on my team, mental craziness and all!!


Now this next lesson that I would learn sits near and dear to me. James Brown once sang that “this is a man’s World, BUT it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl.” Well Mr. Brown you were right on the money!! Now we already know that Olivia Pope is running things in and out of the White House. But she is not alone…and once again last night’s episode made that crystal clear. I mean it was all in your face!! The killer and twist of it all are the other female players in this game!! Who would have thought that a Supreme Court Justice, the president’s wife, and the president’s mistress (who also happens to be the token black player as well) would all be on the same team!! Hmmmmmm…makes you wonder what’s really good?!! Now I could never quite seem to put my finger on the relationship between Olivia and Mellie, I but I get it now. Poor President Fitz can’t keep anything under control, whether its personal or political. I am beginning to wonder if this is all an act or id this for real, for real. See that’s why it is critical to watch each episode week after week, God forbid I miss one…let’s just say the train will be derailed. At first I was 100% Team Olivia, but now I see that Mellie got some skills and knows how to strategically stay under the radar. Now that I think about it I would not mind having her on my team…well at least for special situations that is…If you only thought women were just “ornamental objects” well last night changed up that whole scenario!! As much as I hate to use this Beyonce line …”Who runs the world…Girls do!!”


Well folks that’s the lesson for the day! Crazy is as crazy does, and women are a force to be reckoned with at all times!! These are the type of folks that you can never underestimate…let’s just say they are full of surprises…GOOD and BAD!!

No comments:

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X