Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Finally A Black Woman Hero!!

Now I know I am deviating a bit from my normal film highlights blog post, but I just had to post this!! 


AMC's "The Walking Dead" closed out its second season in "spectacularly bloody and fiery fashion on Sunday night".  But one of  the highlights that would take place is the introduction of a mysterious, hooded character wielding a katana and leading two zombies around on chains. So you ask who is this  mystery woman...her name is "Michonne". I literally jumped out of my bed with excitement!! 


As you all know sometime ago I got on my soap box and gave my two cents on The Disappearance of the Black Female Heroine . And FINALLY Hollywood is beginning to take this role a little bit more seriously!! For years the Black Female Heroine has kind of just been thrown to the side. However with roles such as Michonne in "The Walking Dead" series and TNT Southland's Lydia (played by Regina King) there is a lot of potential waiting to be snatched up!! I guess I am going to have to rely on AMC and TNT and the sci-fi genre in order to see my black she-ro! 


And the icing on the cake is that the character in the original comic series is a black woman and will be played by a black woman...About time they get it right!! 


Background: Michonne, is a mysterious African American woman armed with a katana. She used to be a lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia. And her life is no where near simple (father, mother, brother, sister, an ex-husband, two daughters, a boyfriend, a mortgage, and a host of other things (courtesy of ComicVine ).  She's pretty cool and awesome if you ask me!


For those of you who read and follow the comic book series Michonne  first appears in "The Walking Dead" Issue 19 back in 2005. And her entrance in the comic series mirrors what  TV viewers saw her doing on Sunday night -- leading armless zombies on chains and slicing and dicing other zombies with her Katana blades.
As a comic book fan and reader this is truly exciting to see the pages of these books come to the television screen! Thank you AMC!! And I am looking forward to Season 3 where we will get to see Michonne in a major way!!

No comments:

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X