Friday, July 15, 2011

E. Lynn Harris' Well Known Novel Headed to Theaters

Check out the featured article from Rolling Out magazine talking with the film director of E. Lynn Harris' epic novel Invisible Life...

Invisible Life, the ground-breaking novel about an alternative love story penned by now-deceased author, E. Lynn Harris, is about to take its impact a step further. The story that changed the perception of what “gay” looks like, ushering in for black women both education and suspicion about “down low” brothers, is headed to the big screen.


Proteus Spann, an accomplished film producer, casting agent and good friend to Harris, purchased exclusive rights to Invisible Life and the remainder of Harris’ brand and, now, has made it his mission to broaden the audience that the intriguing novel was able to reach.  Not only did Harris’ work illuminate the fact that gay isn’t as static a term as many previously had believed, but, more importantly, it also shed light on HIV and AIDS and their unique impact on the black community.

Rolling out recently spoke with Spann to provide him with the opportunity to explain why it’s so important to him to spread Harris’ message. –gerald a. radford

*ro: What led to you owning E Lynn Harris’ body of work?
Spann: I want the public to understand that this [purchasing the rights] came about in 2005-2006 before he [E Lynn Harris] died.  So, this is about me getting the rights and having ownership, and it’s important to emphasize the ownership because I own the book and all the characters outright, his entire catalog of Invisible Life up until In My Father’s House, and I bought In My Father’s House and Mama Dearest in January of ’09, and Lynn passed in July of  ’09.  All of this was completely done.  That’s important because you’ll have a lot of naysayers, and a lot of people will want to know, “How did you come up with this?” But it’s been done.

*ro: There seems to be an air of defensiveness regarding the transaction.
Spann: With all the jealousy and hating, there may be someone who will challenge me, but, in 2006, I became the US copyright owner.  Do your research before you come.
It’s important to understand that this didn’t happen posthumously. I’ve been working on the musical [Invisible Life] since I first bought the book.  I hired Ashford and Simpson to write all original music for the musical, and they did incredible music, which the NY Times has heard some of it and has commented with a positive review.  So, the musical is ready to go.  But, it was easier to finance the movie as opposed to the play. So, that’s why I’m doing the movie first.

*ro: You appear very passionate about this project.  Why?
Spann: One of the reasons I bought the rights to the book is because the book impacted me.  When I first read the book, it answered a lot of questions that I had, and it spoke to a lot of the things that I was going through, and there was no other novel or no other book to do that and especially if you didn’t have parents, as I didn’t. Invisible Life answered a lot of questions, and it not only answered questions for me as a man and as a boy, but it also had great impact on women.

To see more of the interview go to RollingOut.com ...

I must say I read every single one of E. Lynn Harris' books and a true fan. I always wondered if they would turn his books into featured films or even a made for tv movie. And then the ultimate question would be who would play the characters...with ease and confidence. Well I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Thoughts?!! Good idea or should they leave it alone?

No comments:

G-Breezy's Favorite Movies

  • Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
  • Die Hard series
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Fracture
  • Idlewild
  • Imitation of Life
  • Inside Man
  • James Bond series
  • Love Jones
  • Malcolm X